Sunday, May 1, 2011

It's still spring here .... summer is much warmer!!! ... so they say!!

A magnolia on the tree across the street.  
So beautiful and white with an incredible fragrance!!
The blossom doesn't last too long but there are lots of blossoms on every tree.

At the Alcantar's garden.  I love the yellow hibiscus.

This cactus is ready to burst into blossoms.

The best house I've seen yet!!!
These are cinder blocks that have been hand painted.
I couldn't believe it!!
When I refer to it, everyone here knows exactly which house I am talking about.  haha

Akin to the love bug.  The love bugs fly but these don't.
The big bug moves forward and the little one moves backwards but just as fast.
It's fun to watch them scurry along.

A beautiful rose from across the street.  I love the colours!!
Our landlord lives across the street.

Another beautiful rose bush.

Remember the tree with the yellow blossoms?  
You can see some of those blossoms at the top of this photo.
These are the seed pods that form.  Pretty cool!!

The seed pod dries out and these are the seeds inside that float around.  
One of the seeds is loose on the table.

I wish I could remember the name of this flower.
I love the yellow center. 
 It's kind of a vine and loaded with blossoms ready to burst.

Here are our wonderful Elders.
This woman called for a media referral and we are delivering the book requested.
The Elders are giving a short message on the step and now just ending with a prayer.
What a beautiful sight!!!

This is at the same house.
We have some beautiful areas and some that are more humble.

I came out today and this little critter scurried away to hide from me.
He may be akin to the ostrich!  Just hiding his head.

He's climbed down the ladder at the back so I had to sneak around to catch this photo.
See him half way down the ladder?

Same little guy.  I love these little things.  They are so darling.

A good close-up.  Isn't he pretty?

This beautiful purple tree is found all over and the colour is such a gorgeous pastel colour.

Here's another little fellow who lost his tail.  I've seen him around before.

Same guy... don't you think??
Many times I can't see them but just hear them moving toward safety.

This used to be a church.  It's overgrown now.

A stick insect.  I've seen some really big ones but didn't have my camera with me.

Here he is on the wall.

We captured another sunset.  I love the setting sun.  
This is my favourite time of day!!
The sun is such a big orange ball every evening here.
What beauty!!

Going, going, .......

We had a Stake Relief Society Social with beautiful displays.
This is one of the quilts.
I love the leaves that are quilted around the border!!

Another beautiful quilt stitched by the same woman.
Isn't she amazing?

This is such a cute idea to use old hanker chiefs from Grandma's old collections.

I took some close-up pictures of the blocks.

I love the hanky with the flower on it.

These flowers are found all over too.  They are clusters of blue blossoms.

Purple Bougainvillea 

Aren't they pretty blossoms?
This flower comes in all colours.

There are so many homes like this that are beautiful and back onto a lake.
This is a land of millions of lakes.
There is no grid system with the roads because the lakes won't allow it.

We were fooling around here.
Elder Draper wasn't wanting his picture taken and I finally had to get it through the windshield.
This is Elder Wright in the back seat.  He thought it was pretty funny.

These houses are on such a beautiful road with great landscaping.
They all back onto a lake.

We don't have many areas like this in our ward.

I love the sculpting of the bushes.
Everything is so manicured.

Another osprey (even though my family is tired of birds.... I am not!)
One parent in the nest and the other on watch duty.

I love this old truck.  We see it every week as we visit one of our families.

Another hibiscus.  I love the orange!!

This is a truly RED lily. 

More beautiful landscaping.

Another home along that road.

And another.

This is an orange grove.  They are not called orchards!!
The orange trees are the ones that are darker green in colour behind the lighter greens.

As we drive down this street.

More orange groves.
I'm trying to get the feel for how the trees are in rows and groomed down the sides so that the trucks can get through.
The big trucks can't get in but the 1/2 ton trucks can.

I like how neat and tidy the rows look. 
Some groves are not as neat as these but I love these ones.

More groves.  They are never ending here.

Another magnolia tree.  Isn't the blossom beautiful?
I love the center with the pink stalk inside.
The flowers get even bigger than this one.

Robin and Elder Wright
This is the day of her baptism.
We baptized her in the pool because she has been getting used to the water here and we thought she would feel more comfortable getting baptized here than in the font.
She did such a good job of overcoming her fears!!

Elder Prince, Robin Ribakoff, Elder Wright

She's taking her time getting into the water.  

These little guys were on the screens that are put up around the pool.
Pools are closed in here almost always so that the alligators don't come to your pool.

A beautiful butterfly ..... or moth.
I'd call it a butterfly because it is so pretty.

This is another little insect that I hadn't seen before this day.
I love the yellow stripes across the body.
The body is very big around.  It's about 2 inches from nose to tip of the tail.

A magnolia blossom before it comes out.
It's so interesting to see how hairy it is.  This is beautiful in and of itself!!

Here we are waiting for Robin to find the courage to go under the water.
It took quite a long time.
The picture is of:  Elder Prince, Robin, Elder Wright, Sister Wright (no relation), Sister Clinger and me.
When it was all over with, Robin was so pleased with herself.  She was absolutely beaming!!!!!!
It took 5 tries to get her immersed but she was a trooper!!  
Each time she came out she was so happy for her effort.
Each time we all worried that she might not want to try it again but she had the faith to do it!!
After it was over I think she was enjoying it because she asked,  "Should I try it again?"

A family's little mini hamster.
I thought my grandchildren might like this.

The hamster belongs to these children.  They belong to the Humphries family.
They are an outstanding family in the ward.  They are great missionaries too!!!  
We all love them.



Doesn't this look like fun?  
Wouldn't it be nice to get to go swimming everyday for a couple of hours in the evening?
This was a very warm day..... I mean HOT day!!!!!


We are being blessed so much here.  
The Lord is aware of us and what we are trying to accomplish. 
 We are receiving His help daily and feel the presence of the Holy Ghost as we go about our work. 
We are on the Lord's errand and enjoying every moment of it.
There are so many precious moments and experiences.
We are so grateful to our Saviour, Jesus Christ, for all he's done for us and that he continues to bless us and help us each day.  This is His work!!! 
What joy we feel to be able to serve Him in this capacity!!!
Plan to serve a mission when you can!
We love you all.  xo

No comments: