Sunday, December 5, 2010

This is an Avocado!! Can you believe the size of it?
It sure was good!!!!

This Palm is a little bit different. I like the thin strips that grow on it.
I should take a picture of the whole tree.

Isn't this a beautiful church building? It is the First Presbyterian Church.
It is on the corner and stands high so we can always find our way home.
I'm not sure if the Presbyterian church should be our beacon though.

This is taken from the side of that church.
It is a very big building! The grounds are lovely.

This sign stands at the exit when you leave the parking lot of the church.
We thought it was quite fitting to take our picture here.
We are on our morning walk.

This gives you an idea of how sandy the land is around here.
Even when you are walking on grass the ground is spongy because of the sand under the grass.
This is in an orange orchard.

Another view of our lake, Little Lake Hamilton.
We are still on our morning walk.
Note the pine tree down by the water. It almost looks deciduous, doesn't it?
The lake is beautiful!!

The sun is rising over the trees in the distance just as we are taking our walk.
What a pretty picture!!! I love the light!

A beautiful Oak Tree covered with Spanish Moss along our road.

I don't know why the moss grows on some trees and not on others.
This moss is growing on an orange tree. You can hardly see the tree for the moss.
I think it looks kind of spooky, don't you?
Can you imagine it on Hallowe'en?

How do you like the size of this grapefruit?
It actually isn't a grapefruit but Brother King couldn't remember the
real name of it at the moment.
He said it wasn't nearly as juicy as a grapefruit but
we thought it was REALLY juicy.
We haven't eaten a fresh grapefruit here yet though.

I should have posted one of the other pictures of this sign without the fence through it.
This is a sign I've never seen before.
No Swimming Allowed
Beware of Alligator
You would think that you could see if there was an alligator in there or not
but apparently they ARE hiding.
This is a mobile home park.
Apparently they are quite sensitive to the term, trailer park.
There are a lot of the here.

Frosty just doesn't look the same in the heat and green grass.
He belongs in the snow. I can see that I'll be a little homesick for the snow at Christmas.
It doesn't seem at all like Christmas to me.
Hopefully it will.

This picture is for Mandi. We thought of you when we saw it.
I wonder why?

I thought this looked like bamboo and then I looked at the stalks.

Yup, that's bamboo alright!!! Neat, eh?

This is the First Presbyterian Church in the evening. Isn't that a beautiful window?
Becky, wouldn't you love to do that?
This feels more like Christmas than any yard decorations so far.
"My arm is out-stretched still."

We had a good chuckle over some of the street names.
Lacy lives on Cut Across Shorty Drive.
However, we didn't see any possums trotting along this avenue.
You never know down here.
We have armadillos that will come and live under our house sometimes.
They have animal control come to take them away when that happens.
Apparently we'll hear them when they come.....
armadillos and racoons.
Hornbergers, you know what it's like to live with racoons, right?

Here's another fun road sign.
We couldn't find our person that was supposed to live on
Broken Wheelbarrow Lane.
We liked the sign though!!! haha

The sign in the front of the house said, "Beware of Dog".
Are these big dogs or small horses?
Actually we did see the dog tied up closer to the house afterwards.

I cropped the picture of the Red Cardinal from before.
It's blurry but you can see it better.
It sure was beautiful and it is the Cardinal we've ever seen in real life!

Elder Draper picked this lemon so we could make some lemonade.
It really is a lemon!!
It's not the right shape or anything but it sure tasted good!!!

Sunset has arrived.
It only takes a few minutes to go from this to dark!! I miss the twilight!!
Grandma Bell and I used to sit through the twilight all the time and visit.
I love that time of day!!!

The sun has just disappeared over the other side of the lake.
The end of another wonderful day here in Haines City, Florida.

We miss you all and love you too. Thanks to you all for your support.
Give us a little comment so we know you're still out there. :) ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can appreciate that beautiful avocado! i was just at Co-op on Friday looking to buy a couple and was feeling quite annoyed that they were so tiny and even over-ripe. (That's why they were on sale for $0.66 each) I finally picked out the best 2 I could find but felt completely unsatisfied.
Still waiting to see pictures of the inside of your house.
And I'm currently working on an e-mail letter to you...it's taking a while to get it done (sorry).

Emily said...

Wow....those are some big pieces of fruit!! But forget the fruit, those eggs and bacon are making my stomach growl!!! I want to eat them!! You sure live in a beautiful area! Aren't you scared of alligators just being near those signs and water?? I would be!!!!

Rosemary said...

Dear Elder & Sister Draper:

I am so enjoying following your blog. Thank you for sharing. It is inspiring and motivating for us as we prepare to serve someday as well. Please, please continue to share all your experiences. Love you both. You are in our prayers and thoughts.

Becky CTR said...

Yah, the avacados that we have gotten lately aren't very flavorful. They are quite watery!! Yuck!

Elizabeth said...

The Avacados indeed look so good. Jealous!! Looks beautiful over there. Don't be homesick for the snowy Christmas. You have many years still ahead of you with a snowy Christmas. Just enjoy NOT driving in the snow and having to bundle up. That gratefruit thing looks yummy too. I'm jealous with all the fruit you get.

mldraper said...

Make sure you take pictures of all the beautiful churches! I wish that I had. I will never see so many churches again in my life i'm sure. There was even a Basilica in Milwaukee... alas, no pictures. :(